- Love This
- Yahoo Mail
- Facebook Messenger
- Copy Link
As 2013 winds down, we’re looking back at just how inspiring the year has been for Compassion Over Killing and for farmed animals — and we’re looking forward to an even more productive 2014!
Supporters, like you, helped make our accomplishments possible. In 2013, we released three eye-opening investigations. We empowered thousands of people nationwide to take our US VegWeek VegPledge. We worked with local governments to pass Meatless Monday resolutions, and our DC VegFest event surpassed 10,000 attendees! View all of these highlights — and more — in our year-end video!
And there’s much more exciting news to share from 2013: Chipotle introduced a vegan Sofrita burrito nationwide, former Vice President Al Gore went vegan, and vegan companies like Beyond Eggs and Beyond Meat made a major splash in stores and in the news!
We tried to capture all of these stories in our blog — to keep you posted on all the important news and updates for farmed animals! And today, we’re re-sharing our blog posts from the past year that generated the most interest.
Here’s the breakdown of our top 5 most popular blog posts in 2013:
1. Google Confirms that Veganism is on the Rise: Google’s Trends application showed that more and more people are searching for information related to the term “vegan.” So, we published an animation showing the relative popularity of searches including the term “vegan” in the US over the past five years. See it here.
2. One Year Later: Vegan Options at Subway: Customers and store managers praised Subway’s vegan test menu, which was introduced in select DC-area stores in June of 2012. Our “One Year Later” blog took a look at the still-growing demand for vegan subs — and how consumers can take action to ask for vegan options nationwide.
3. Native Foods Announces Plans to Open 200 New Restaurants: Native Foods Café, a popular all-vegan eatery with 14 locations in California, Illinois, and Oregon, announced plans to open 200 new locations in the next five years. The planned expansion will bring the restaurant to the East Coast, including Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, DC.
4. McDonalds Unwraps Meat-free Menu in Canada: McDonald’s responded to consumer demand this year when it rolled out two new meatless menu items at participating locations in Canada. The stores introduced a Mediterranean McWrap and a Sante Fe McWrap — two vegetarian options that can be made vegan by request.
5. Vegan Actors Dominate Oscar Nominations: This past year, vegan actors grabbed a handful of Oscar nominations at the 85th Academy Awards. Among the nominees were Jessica Chastain, Anne Hathaway, Hugh Jackman, and Joaquin Phoenix.
Enjoy these blogs and want to read more? Check out our most recent posts — and be sure to share your favorite stories: Voices of Compassion.