- Love This
- Yahoo Mail
- Facebook Messenger
- Copy Link
Compassion Over Killing’s MeatOut campaign empowers people around the world to turn over a new leaf on March 20, the first day of Spring, by pledging to explore the many benefits of plant-based eating, for our health, the environment, and animals.
MeatOut was first launched in 1985 to promote a national — and increasingly international — conversation questioning consumption of animal products, and in 2018 Compassion Over Killing proudly took on this tradition and tied the online VegPledge into VegWeek (taking place this year from April 21-27!).
Last year, the campaign empowered activists to host grassroots events in cities across the globe and prompted official government proclamations of March 20 as “MeatOut Day,” including in the nation’s capital, Washington, DC.
Cities like Syracuse and Ithaca, NY also hosted MeatOut events to coincide with their proclamations.
Over the past 30+ years, MeatOut has spread to two dozen countries, including Germany, France, Spain, Croatia, and Israel. Celebrity supporters have included Doris Day, Bob Barker, Casey Kasem, Ed Asner, James Cromwell, Chrissie Hynde, Bill Maher, Mary Tyler Moore, Joaquin Phoenix, Alicia Silverstone, and more.
Now it’s your turn to get involved. You can multiply your impact for animals right in your community! Here are some simple activities you can do for MeatOut (and all year long):
- Take the VegPledge and encourage others to pledge by sharing meatout.org
- Ask local officials to endorse MeatOut through proclamations
- Distribute vegan food samples and literature at local events
- Register your own vegan event
- Spread the word with a MeatOut banner, poster, or social media meme (be sure to use the hashtags #meatout and #meatout2019)
- Encourage local restaurants to feature vegan options
- Request media interviews to encourage vegan eating
For more information and to get started, please visit meatout.org.