Memorial Day weekend is almost here, and this holiday brings the start of summer — and cookout season!
If you’re wondering what meatless dish to cook up for your guests or what to bring to a friend’s backyard bash, we have your guide packed with mouthwatering vegan options that will keep all eaters alike coming back to the grill for seconds.
Veggie Burgers: Meatless burgers are the hottest thing on the grill right now, with vegan options just as juicy and flavor-packed as their meat counterparts in stores nationwide. Try Beyond Meat’s protein-packed Beyond Burger, Gardein’s juicy Ultimate Beefless Burger.
Veggie Dogs: Just like burgers, hot dogs are a cookout favorite, and you don’t have to leave them off your meatless grill. Choose from Tofurky’s fast-cooking Jumbo Hot Dogs, Field Roast’s flavorful frankfurters, or Lightlife’s jumbo-sized Smart Dogs (Psst…did you see Lightlife is going even lighter with a 100% vegan product line?)
Cheese: What vegan cookout is complete without dairy-free cheese? There are tons of brands that offer options to top your dishes with a variety of flavors. Try Field Roast Chao Cheese in creamy original, tomato cayenne, or coconut herb; Follow Your Heart slices in provolone, America, mozzarella and more; or Daiya slices in cheddar, swiss, or provolone.
Hungry for more? Try our TryVeg.com Barbecue Seitan Sandwich and Egg-Free Potato Salad, sure to please the crowd!
Barbecue Seitan Sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package seitan strips or chunks cut into strips
- 1 cup vegan barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup water
- Hot sauce (optional)
- 4 hamburger buns
- Suggested toppings: lettuce, tomato, green pepper, coleslaw, red onions
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5-8 minutes, or until the onion is very soft. Add seitan, and cook until lightly browned, stirring often.
- Add the barbecue sauce and water and cook, stirring every 5 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and been absorbed by the seitan. Add hot sauce to taste if using.
- Toast the inside of the buns to prevent them from getting soggy, then spoon the seitan mixture onto the rolls and garnish. Serve hot.
Egg-Free Potato Salad
- 2 pounds red potatoes, cut into large cubes
- ⅓ cup vegan mayonnaise (try Just Mayo, Earth Balance, or Vegenaise)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon or brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup celery, diced (optional)
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup parsley or chives, finely chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, then carefully add the chopped potatoes. Cook for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft enough to be pierced with a fork, but not at all mushy. Drain and rinse in cold water. Set aside to cool completely.
- Separately, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and mix well to combine.
- When the potatoes are fully cooled, place them in a large bowl with the celery, onion, and parsley or chives. Mix gently to combine. Add the mayonnaise mixture and toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Adjust seasoning before serving.
Find this and more recipes at TryVeg.com!
Photo: Beyond Meat