Memorial Day weekend is almost upon us, which means cookouts — and summer — are coming! If you’re new to the world of plant-based eating, you might be wondering what to eat, what to bring, or what to throw on the grill?
Have no fear: we have just the grilling guide for you, packed with mouthwatering meatless options that will please every palate, vegans and meat-eaters alike.
Whether you’re hosting your own meatless BBQ — or attending one held by friends — here are some options to have on hand for a cruelty-free cookout:
- Beast Burger: For the protein-obsessed eater, the Beast Burger is everything. This hearty patty boasts a whopping 23 grams of protein, along with antioxidants, iron, calcium, vitamins B6, B12, D, potassium, DHA, and omega 3s. Honestly, it makes beef burgers look so last century.
- Gardein Ultimate Beefless Burger: This sizzling, super-delicious veg burger is your best bet for fooling meat eaters at a BBQ. It looks like beef, it tastes like beef — but it isn’t beef. Instead, it’s a healthy, hearty mix of soy protein, ancient grain flour, and other better-for-you ingredients.
- Boca Original Vegan Veggie Burger: While some of Boca’s famous burger varieties aren’t vegan — this one is. With 90% less fat than a ground beef hamburger, it has all of the flavor and none of the artery-clogging ickiness.
- Amy’s Texas Veggie Burger: For something a little different, opt for Amy’s veggie- and grain-based burger with a built-in BBQ flavor, ideal for the grill.
- Lightlife Smart Dogs (Jumbo): If you’re looking for a satisfying cookout snack, Lightlife’s jumbo-sized Smart Dogs are delish and hearty enough for any eater. These meatless treats are perfect with mustard, ketchup, relish – you name it!
- Yves Meatless Hot Dog: Made with hickory smoke and other special spices, these frankfurters are just like the traditional ones you’re used to — only animal-free!
- Tofurky Jumbo Hot Dogs: These plant-based, non-GMO veggie dogs cook up super quick over a hot grill. They’re the perfect addition to a meatless BBQ.
- Field Roast Sausages: The Seattle-based plant meat makers have three varieties of delicious sausage: Italian (with fresh eggplant, fennel, red wine, garlic and sweet peppers); Mexican Chipotle (smoked Chipotle peppers, Chili de Arbol peppers, fresh chopped garlic, sweet onions, cumin seed and oregano) and Smoked Apple Sage (apples, sage, yukon gold potatoes and hickory smoke).
- Tofurky Sausages: From chick’n apple to spinach pesto to andouille, Tofurky offers a full roster of six artisanal sausages. Beer brats, kielbasa — you name it, they’ve got it, so even the most discerning meat eater will find something to love.
- Trader Joe’s Soy Chorizo: If you like spicy chorizo, TJ’s has a cruelty-free version of this famous Mexican specialty. In addition to being easy on the animals, it has no cholesterol and 60% less fat than traditional chorizo sausage.
- Field Roast Chao Cheese: Famous for its super-melty consistency, Chao comes in three non-traditional flavors: creamy original, tomato cayenne, and coconut herb.
- Follow Your Heart: FYH has been adding to its line of tasty products, and now makes sliced and block cheeses in provolone, American, mozzarella, garden herb, pepper jack, and smoked gouda.
- Daiya Slices: The uber-popular vegan cheese company makes several sliced cheeses, perfect atop burgers. They come in cheddar-style, swiss-style, and provolone-style.
And don’t forget your veggies! Portobello mushrooms, corn on the cob, eggplant, zucchini, asparagus, tomatoes, potatoes — there are endless from-garden-to-grill options for your BBQ.
And, for dessert:
S’mores: Toast a marshmallow and press it between two graham crackers and a slice of chocolate. It’s the perfect sweet treat for a summer cookout. Here are some s’mores supplies:
- Nabisco Grahams: The original version of this grocery store favorite happens to be vegan.
- Trader Joe’s Marshmallows: The newest vegan ‘mallow to hit store shelves, this is an inexpensive and easily accessible option for frequent TJ’s shoppers.
- Dandies Marshmallows: Made with all-natural ingredients, these pillowy treats are the first ‘mallows ever to be Non-GMO Project Verified.
- Trader Joe’s Pound Plus Dark Chocolate: This hefty option offers enough to supply s’mores for everyone you know.
- Enjoy Life chocolate bars: Go for dark chocolate, ricemilk chocolate, or even ricemilk crunch (if you want to get crazy). Any of the options are super for s’mores.
So stock those coolers and get ready for a cookout. With this list of products, no one will say your vegan eats aren’t filling!