- Love This
- Yahoo Mail
- Facebook Messenger
- Copy Link
This year, I am running in 9 races with a goal of raising $9,000 for Compassion Over Killing before I turn 29 on Sept. 16. What’s motivating me to train hard all year and race in all weather to continue crossing the finish line?
It’s the 9 billion birds, pigs, and cows who are raised and killed each year for food in the U.S., the overwhelming majority of whom endure unspeakable abuse on factory farms. Contrary to public perception, farmed animals are denied adequate legal protection, at both the state and federal levels. This allows factory farmers to treat these animals in ways that are so cruel, it would lead to criminal prosecution if those same abuses were inflicted upon the dogs and cats with whom we share our homes. Farmed animals are perhaps the most abused for the most prolonged periods of time, while having the least legal protections.
This is why I’m vegan. This is why I dedicate my time to work with Compassion Over Killing, one of the most influential and dedicated organizations committed to building a kinder world for all animals — and this is why I’m running in these races to help Compassion Over Killing:
- Conduct powerful undercover investigations, drive landmark litigation, take animal agribusiness to task for unethical business practices and other legal advocacy.
- Promote the message of compassionate eating through Meatless Mondays, US VegWeek, and DC VegFest.
- Spread the message of compassionate eating with reasons, recipes, and tips on TryVeg.com.
- Place hard-hitting 30-second pro-veg commercials on MTV, Comedy Central, Animal Planet, and Hulu.com, reaching millions of viewers.
- Encourage restaurants and national corporations, including Subway, to offer more vegan options.
Fortunately, there’s no shortage of research in support of plant-based eating or vegan athletes to model for inspiration. Athletes everywhere seem to be turning to vegan diets for improved performance, and together, we are proving that meat-free foods not only help improve health, but push you to new heights.
Please visit my fundraising page to support my Races for Compassion!