In a heartbreaking new undercover video, Animal Outlook (formerly Compassion OVer Killing) reveals violent abuse of gentle mother cows at Mason Dixon Farms, a massive dairy factory farm in Pennsylvania with more than 2,500 animals.
Mason Dixon supplies some of the biggest names in dairy, including Dairy Farmers of America and Land O’Lakes.
One of the largest dairy facilities on the East Coast, Mason Dixon was the first in the US to implement milking of cows by machines, known as “robo-milking.” Approximately half of the 2,500 cows on this factory farm are now “robo-milked.”
Though Mason Dixon touts itself as a leading example in the dairy industry, the footage taken by Animal Outlook’s investigator who worked inside the facility uncovers a different reality that includes:
- egregious cruelty to animals: including cows being kicked in the face, punched in their sensitive udders, excessively shocked with an electric prod, jabbed with pens or elbows, and having their tails twisted or bent by workers
- cows living in hazardous conditions, routinely getting stuck on water troughs or inside stalls
- worker safety concerns: workers handling formaldehyde throughout the facility with no protective clothing or masks.
AO submitted evidence of animal cruelty to local authorities, calling for prompt enforcement action. According to Dairy Farmers of America, which Mason Dixon supplies, Mason Dixon has fired one employee in response to the acts of animal cruelty documented in this footage.
“Like human mothers, cows form incredibly strong bonds with their babies, but in the dairy industry, these bonds are shattered. As a mom, I shudder when I think of the calves systematically torn from their mothers time and again so the milk intended for these baby animals can be sold for human consumption.”Cheryl Leahy
Executive Vice President, Animal Outlook
Mason Dixon Dairy Investigation Photos
Thirst for Profit Creates a Cruel Cycle
Dairy cows are genetically manipulated to produce huge quantities of milk, and bovine growth hormones unnaturally boost milk production even more, adding to their pain and discomfort.
Cows at Mason Dixon produce up to 25 gallons of milk a day — that’s more than twice the amount of milk on other dairy factory farms. Hooked up to milking machines several times a day, these cows often suffer painful inflammation of the udders, known as mastitis.
To keep producing milk, dairy cows are continually artificially inseminated in an invasive manual procedure. Just like human mothers, cows carry their babies for nine months.
You can help end this cycle of cruelty: Click here for ways you can take action today!
Millions of Americans are telling milk to mooo-ve over, choosing healthier and compassionate plant-based milks and other dairy-free foods.
The best way we can protect cows, and all animals, is simply to leave milk and meat out of our shopping carts: Visit TryVeg.com to get started!
May 12, 2017 Update: Since the release of our investigation, Leprino Foods and Chobani have stated that Mason Dixon is not in their supply chain, though it’s our understanding that both companies do purchase from DFA and this factory farm is a member of DFA. We have reached out to confirm how this supply chain is verified and are awaiting responses. In the meantime, we’ve updated our video and website to reflect this new information, and we will continue to update as additional detail is received.
- WITF: Midstate man pleads guilty to animal cruelty charges
- Philly Voice: Undercover video at Pennsylvania dairy farm leads to employee's firing
- WITF: Midstate dairy farm fires worker after video shows cows getting punched and kicked
- VegNews: Rampant Animal Abuse Exposed at Land O' Lakes
- Biz Journals: New Exposé Provides Shocking Look Inside Massive Dairy Factory Farm
- All Creatures: Carton of Cruelty
- Money.ca: New Exposé Provides Shocking Look Inside Massive Dairy Factory Farm
- World Animal News: Compassion Over Killing Exposes Horrific Abuse at Dairy Farm
Big Dairy’s Carton of Cruelty: Speak Up for Mother Cows!
The heartbreaking cruelty documented at Mason Dixon Farms depicts the devastating reality of life for dairy cows.
Did you know cows form lifelong bonds with their calves? Yet, in the dairy industry, these gentle animals are artificially inseminated, impregnated year after year, only to have their calves taken from them almost immediately so that their milk can be sold for human consumption.
Thankfully, there are simple and effective ways that YOU — and each one of us — can make a difference for cows and all farm animals.