Compassion Over Killing (COK)

is a national nonprofit 501(c)(3) animal advocacy organization based in Washington, DC. Working to end animal abuse since 1995, COK exposes cruelty to farmed animals and promotes vegan eating. 
Our mission is to build a kinder world for all animals.

In the face of so many challenges, we’re also striving to build a stronger movement.

Watch our Year in Review: In 2018, our groundbreaking investigations revealed truth to consumers and sparked change, our innovative legal advocacy brought justice for animals, and we inspired thousands to make compassionate choices. Standing united, we are changing the world for animals!



Undercover Investigations – Our brave investigators are shining a bright light on the hidden horrors forced upon billions of farmed animals. Approximately 21% of your donation goes directly toward supporting our ongoing investigative initiatives.


Legal Advocacy – Our proactive legal team is strategically challenging the status quo of animal agribusiness, from animal cruelty to misleading marketing and unfair business practices. Approximately 11% of your donation goes directly to Compassion Over Killing’s legal advocacy.



Corporate Outreach – Working with various international corporations, we’re successfully pushing for change to reduce suffering, eliminate animal ingredients, and mainstream the availability of plant-based options. Approximately 18% of your donation goes directly to campaigns for change.


Outreach & Education – Every day, our staff, interns, and volunteers are engaging in creative and effective outreach opportunities to empower others to choose compassion by leaving animals off their plates. Approximately 40% of your donation goes directly to outreach and education.


Who We Are

Our Leadership Team

Erica Meier,

Executive Director
Compassion Over Killing

Cheryl Leahy,

General Counsel
Compassion Over Killing

Amy Trakinski,

Board Chair
Managing Director of VegInvest

Financial Reports

Your Donation Dollars at Work for Animals

Where does your money go?

For every dollar you give, 91% goes directly toward improving the lives of farm animals. We spend the other 9% working toward generating the next dollar. Compassion Over Killing relies on the generosity of donors like to you continue our mission.

 View 990
 View Financial Statement

Donation Privacy Policy:
Compassion Over Killing is committed to respecting the privacy of its donors, whether the donation is made online, by mail, or any other method. We will not sell, share, or trade our donors’ names, personal, or financial information with any other entity, nor send mailings to our donors on behalf of other organizations, unless the donor has given us specific permission to do so.